Even if you avoid wearing much makeup day-to-day, there are a few makeup bag essentials that come in handy.
- Tweezers. You must always, always keep a pair of these in your bag. You just never know when a stray hair is going to derail your entire look. I like Tweezerman. Target has a set that includes the slanted and the pointed for $21.99.
- A tinted moisturizer. I wear Arbonne’s CC Cream. It provides a dewy finish and doesn’t look caked-on. Choose a shade that’s right for you, or blend two to create your own, $40.
- Blush. I swear by Nars. The shade Orgasm is a popular choice and one they claim looks great on any skin tone, Amazon.com $37.99.
- Concealer. Oh, father time, you love to use the dark circles under our eyes to remind us of your presence. My current go-to concealer is BARESKIN by bareMinerals, $20 at Sephora.com.
- Eye shadow. Add sparkle to your face and depth to your eyes with this staple. I have learned from experience that you want one that offers a rich pigment, otherwise you’ll be scraping it from the creases in your eyelid and reapplying every few hours. It’s a bit pricey, but I adore Chanel’s collections. The Subtle Smokey Eye Shadow Palette offers four shades and is super-versatile. $26.77, Amazon.com
- Eye liner. I’m a bit on the fence with this particular product. If you aren’ t careful or if you have a heavy hand, you could end up resembling a raccoon rather than a festivity-seeking gal. So I’ll say this- used sparingly, eye liner can provide definition and a bit of mystery. I like Kat Von D’s tattoo liner. It provides a crisp line and is easy to use. $19, Sephora.
- Mascara. Oh mascara, how we love thee. Seriously, I could write poetry expressing my love for mascara. Without mascara, I would look naked. And hands down, I adore Christian Dior’s Diorshow Black Out. $27.50, Sephora.com.
- Lip Gloss. I have to confess. When it comes to lipstick and lip liner, I find that they just don’t work for me. I tried lipstick in high school. Yuck. Too heavy, too gaudy. Fast forward to my years in front of the camera working as a television news reporter; I tried lip liner – hoping to define my lips for the camera. Not a bad idea but too much for me. But I swear by lip gloss. Just a tint of color, a hint of shine— it’s never too much. Give Sephora’s Ultra Shine Lip Gel a try. Available in 33 colors for just $14.
Always remember— with makeup, less is usually more. Though sometimes, it takes MORE to look like LESS. Make Sense? Basically, you want to look as naturally beautiful as possible.
Do you have any makeup bag favorites? Please share!
Today she owns Content by Carrie, lives in Saratoga with twin 9-year old boys and a three-pound Yorkie named Henry.
Read more of Carrie’s published work at CarrieRowlands.com or follow her on Instagram and Twitter at Content by Carrie.
Latest posts by Carrie Rowlands Johnson (see all)
- Our Favorite Looks From This Year’s Academy Awards - March 3, 2016
- Look for Less: Golden Globes - January 27, 2016
- 8 Makeup Bag Essentials - January 3, 2016