This breakfast casserole is perfect for entertaining because you can make it the day before and bake it when you’re ready to eat. It’s also perfect for feeding a crowd on a lazy weekend morning . What’s not to like? Eggs, sausage, mushrooms, peppers ,onions and cheese.
Combine them all together, put in a casserole dish and that’s it.
- 1 ½ lbs. breakfast sausage (2 sausage rolls)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 - 4.5 ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 C. Milk
- 1 ½ tsp. Dry mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 3 - 4 Slices of white bread, cut into ¼” cubes
- 1 ½ C. grated Cheddar cheese - reserve ½ cup for the top
- In a large skillet cook the sausage until just brown.
- Add the onion and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Drain off any excess fat. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Add the sliced mushrooms, cooled sausage/onion/pepper mix, and a cup of cheddar cheese.
- Stir in bread.
- Pour into 9"x13"x2" pan. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 1 hour. Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- This can be made the night before. Just cover and put in the refrigerator until your ready to bake.
(Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on Kimversations.com. It has been reprinted here with permission. Kimberly Hickok is both the publisher of FoodHomeLifeStyle and Kimversations.)